Tuesday, September 22

Day 16 - Off the Ventilator

Talia was very grumpy this morning. She has gotten very sick and tired of the ventilator tubes down her throat (the doctor likened it to a garden hose down the throat of an adult!) and she was very pleased to hear that today the doctors were going to try and take the tube out.

Jan and I arrived and spent some time with her, but it was clear that she was not going to be entirely happy until this change was made.

At 11.30am, Charles the Pediatrician came in to remove the tube and the nurses let Jan help to remove the tape from her face, which took a few minutes to clean up.


And then Talia was free of the ventilator tubes finally, which was a very exciting moment for all of us. It was very suprising to find out that the doctors intended Talia to breath completely on her own, with no CPAP or nasel prongs, etc.

Jan and I spent around 3.5 hours nursing her on our laps and there were no breathing issues at all. Talia was very comfortable and enjoying every moment. It was beautiful to see her little yawns and hear her little noises finally.
Now, after nearly 6.5 hours, she has been fine with the breathing, so we are praying hard that this indicates the obstruction and central apnia issues may be gone. We are believing that she will be fine for the entire night.


Thanks for your thoughts and prayers - we can certainly feel you upholding us and whilst the journey is long, this is an exciting step forward.
God is good!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Jan and Jeremy,
    I am sitting at home sick and disappointed, that I haven't been able to visit you all today, and now I'm on your blog and reading of another miracle in Talia's life. Looking at the photos of her without any breathing tubes is a true indication of the power of prayer. Only a few days ago you were sharing about the timing of taking authority over this condition and now we know that God's timing is perfect.
    We thank the lord for this beautiful little girl and for the impact she has had on all of us and we pray even more powerfully and more united for the healing to continue.
    I can't wait to give all three of you a hug! Praise God!
    All my love. Paul R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cedar WarrenSeptember 22, 2009

    I am SO THRILLED with THIS POST- I have tears of Joy for all of you in my eyes and I can not imagine the joy you must have felt seeing your darling Talia yawning!!!!! I met my son when he was 5.5 months of age va local adoption & he was like a dynamite dynamo from day 1 of me meeting him- very few yawns but yet I did feel the most incredible joy on meeting my SON GOD Always intended to be my son.
    I will endeavour to continue to pray without ceasing for Talia's brain stem respiratory centre to continue to function well & that there are no obstructions & that Talia has a great night breathing on her own...
    I PRAISE GOD YOU HAD A VERY SPECIAL CUDDLE with your Talia... Luv Cedar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tolik & Lavinia PodolakSeptember 22, 2009

    Jan & Jeremy, what wonderful news to read the tubes are finally removed. It ceratinly was a beautiful day you shared as proud parents with precious Talia.
    Richest blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathie NowakSeptember 23, 2009

    Hi Jan & Jeremy, this is really wonderful news, I am praying that Talia's respiratory function will continue to improve, and that each day she will grow in strength and vigour. How wonderful it must be to cuddle your lovely daughter without ET tubes, ventilators & sedation. May God continue to sustain you all, love & blessings, Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a miracle in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cedar WarrenSeptember 23, 2009

    Dear Jan & Jeremy,
    I'm praying NO NEWS about Talia's second day off the et tubes; nasal pronged is GOOD NEWS.... As I'm so sure you'd find it so hard IF Talia had to go back into them again. I pray Talia is comfortable & that the apenia issues you were warned about were NOT an issue overnite ot today.
    Praying for you all in this hard challenging time, luv Cedar

    ReplyDelete